This is a great read by Mignon Fogarty. It discusses studies done to determine commonalities in language used in novels that had success on the market and novels that didn’t. It’s insightful and delves deeper into the why’s of what seems to work and what doesn’t. I especially like that Mignon plays devil’s advocate and goes into what grains of salt to consider in these studies.
Recent Blog Posts
Top Posts & Pages
- Dream sequences in novels—when and how can they be effective?
- The "Rules of Grammar" and Novel Writing
- "Stick to Your Guns" (Idiom Origins)
- The Lizard Man (The Dream Factory)
- "Can't hold a candle to..." (Idiom Origins)
- The Ghost of Tom (The Dream Factory)
- Recommended Read: "11 Books that Scared the Master of Horror, Stephen King, and will Terrify You, too
- Circus Tent Apocalypse (The Dream Factory)