This is a great read by Mignon Fogarty. It discusses studies done to determine commonalities in language used in novels that had success on the market and novels that didn’t. It’s insightful and delves deeper into the why’s of what seems to work and what doesn’t. I especially like that Mignon plays devil’s advocate and goes into what grains of salt to consider in these studies.
Recent Blog Posts
Top Posts & Pages
- Dream sequences in novels—when and how can they be effective?
- "Can't hold a candle to..." (Idiom Origins)
- Romance writing for non-romance novels
- "Stick to Your Guns" (Idiom Origins)
- Dream of 'The Sevens' (Deborah Lee Clark's Dream)
- The "Rules of Grammar" and Novel Writing
- List of Literary Genres and Definitions
- Tips to Writing for a Campfire Story